A public adjuster can be a valuable expert to have on your side when you experience damage or a loss to your home or business. The professional who works with you should have intimate knowledge of the insurance industry and the claims process for your particular type of loss. When you experience an incident, public adjusters may reach out to you to offer their services. Instead of hiring the one with the best “deals” or the fanciest language in a letter, do a bit of research to find a professional service that truly has your best interests at heart.
What to Look For
Consider the following when searching for a public adjuster:
- Active licenses and bonds: Public adjusters must have an active license with the Department of Insurance and a $10,000 Public Insurance Adjuster’s bond. The best adjusters have no problem with you checking to see if the license or bond is valid.
- Industry memberships: Professionals who are committed to their work have active memberships with industry associations, such as the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, United Policyholders of America or Windstorm Insurance Network.
- The law: In most states, a public adjuster may not solicit during a natural disaster. These professionals may only solicit their services between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, and between 12:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. on Sundays. Additionally, a roofing contractor may not act as a public adjuster.
- Policy review: A public adjuster should not make any promises regarding services before thoroughly reviewing your insurance policy and the respective losses. He should also make sure you understand the insurance policy and the professional contract before hiring him.
- Fees: In most states, a public adjuster must disclose his fee on a written contract. The fee cannot exceed 10 percent of the claim settlement. However, if you settle the claim within 72 hours of reporting the loss to your insurance company, public adjusters may only receive “reasonable compensation” for their time and expenses.
- References: Reputable public adjusters are more than happy to provide references to past clients. Contact these references to verify a professional’s claims.
At Commercial Claim Pro, We’ve Got You Covered
At Commercial Claim Pro, we can handle your insurance claim from start to finish—from filing the claim for you to ensuring that you receive the maximum payout to which you are entitled. Our adjusters have years of experience in the industry and are fluent with every step of the process, in addition to being fully licensed by the states of Texas and Colorado. Call us today to get a head start on the process.